8.24.2011

Little House in the Big City




When I wore a variation of this outfit back in the spring, with gray opaque tights rather than socks, a friend in my drawing class told me that she liked my outfit and that I looked like I belonged in "Little House on the Prairie." I think my response was a short chuckle and "Oh, really?" Perhaps she thought I was offended because she quickly clarified that it was more like Little House on the Prairie in New York City. I wasn't offended at all, in fact I thought it was a rather amusing observation. It's entertaining to watch friends or acquaintances struggle to find a word to describes my outfit other than "cute," especially when it's not a sincere compliment. Once in a while they'll tell me I look flat out strange, but getting dressed isn't supposed to be serious business. Not everyone thinks a tulle dress is appropriate for a physics lecture or knee socks with heels are appropriate at all, and that's okay because it's a matter of opinion. I don't mind laughing at myself once in while!

A bit of a blooper, I dropped my remote and was caught off guard!



On a completely separate note, I'm sure that the earthquake that occurred in Virginia on Tuesday caught everyone on the East coast by surprised. Clearly this sort of thing doesn't happen often, in fact is was the strongest quake recorded in this region in almost 70 years. As of now I haven't heard news of any injuries or casualties, with the exception of perhaps some fine china, and for that I think we can all be grateful. I myself was sitting on my bed, scrolling through my dashboard, when I noticed the contents of my room start to shake. Train tracks run through the woods behind my house, so a bit of rumbling as a freight train passes is customary. But I heard no train and the shaking continued. My first thought was that the wind circulating through all of our open windows was making the frame of the house resonate with the potential to collapse. Then I thought of an angry poltergeist out to get me. Then I thought a gas or water pipe was blocked and building up pressure and waiting to explode. Every possible cause, except an earthquake, crossed my mind. In comparison to the disasters caused in Haiti and Japan in the past year and half, this natural occurrence is but a blip on the radar. I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm grateful we're nothing more than a little shook up (see what I did there?). Furthermore, I send my sincerest wishes of safety to anyone who was close to either the Colorado or Virginia earthquakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment