11.12.2013

Street Style: Ayanna








Ayanna Harris, senior in Digital Media 
Wearing:Forever 21 jacket, Papaya Clothing pants, Wet Seal boots, DSW bag 

My goal for next week is to shoot people for street style who I don't already know. It's a bit of a cop-out, isn't it?
On this afternoon I had lunch with my good friend Ayanna, who I've known since early in my freshman year of school. She always dresses with a point of view, but today I was particularly drawn to her vintage-inspired purse, high-waisted pants and her Rosie the Riveter-esque scarf. She was giving me a bit too much of her serious model face and it took of bit of unsuccessful banter from behind the camera to make her crack a smile. I think she was mostly just confused by the random things I was shouting at her, but once I explained I was trying to get a genuine smile, she laughed at how much of a dork I was being about it. Why didn't you just tell me? Note to self: don't try to fool your subject, you'll just end up looking like a fool.

Who or what do you look to for style inspiration?
I find myself following the styles of dancers (things that are easy to move in). I also find inspiration from ‘90s hip-hop styles and pin-up fashion.

What trend, if any, are you looking forward to trying this fall?
I am really getting into long-sleeved dresses this fall (maxi and skater). I know the weather is getting colder, so usually I stray away from outfits that show my legs, but I am still on the hunt for a long-sleeved black skater dress.

Your jacket is such an awesome ‘80s print. What print or pattern would you never wear?
I usually avoid thick vertical black-and-white stripes and thin horizontal black-and-white stripes. Thick vertical stripes make your legs look longer (if you wear them on the bottom). I am already tall, so I don’t need the illusion of looking tall. Thin horizontal stripes look bad on camera (looks like things are moving on your shirt). If I am ever randomly caught on camera, I don’t want my shirt to look like bugs are crawling all over [it].

You’re part of a K-pop dance team. How do you translate your personal style into your costume choices?
After we all agree on a color or pattern, I usually look for a crop top or high-waist shorts (recently obsessed with both) that would fit that. And then I always bling it out with a big, chunky necklace or big, sparkly earrings just to set my outfit or style apart from the others.


No comments:

Post a Comment